San Juan County Fire Department and Sheriff’s Office Respond to Fatal Fire


San Juan County, NM – On February 12, 2012 at approximately 438 hours, San Juan County Sheriff’s Office Deputies responded to a residence on County Road 5582 in response to a report of a structure fire. The residence was a manufactured home and was fully engulfed in flames when deputies arrived on scene. At the time they arrived, a male was outside the residence and was able to alert the deputies to the fact that two other individuals were still inside the home.


Deputies attempted to gain entrance into the home through the front door but were unable to as it would not open. The deputies then used a shovel to take the door off of its hinges, allowing them entrance into the home. They immediately located an unconscious female, removed her from the home and began CPR. While deputies were performing CPR on the female other deputies entered the home and located an unconscious male, removed him from the home and began CPR on him as well.


Deputies continued CPR on both victims until Fire and Medic personnel arrived on scene and took over. Unfortunately both victims were pronounced dead on scene by medical personnel. They were later identified as Dustin Davis, age 21, of Farmington New Mexico and Audrey Dawes, age 21, of Aztec New Mexico.


The following San Juan County Fire crews battled the blaze for more than three hours:


  • Engines 825, 620, 630 & 220
  • Tanker 835
  • Compressor 111
  • Rescue 211 & 618
  • Medics 2 & 3
  • Also Bloomfield Fire Tanker 1


“Unfortunately the home was completely destroyed in the fire,” said San Juan County Fire Fighter Kevin Jones.
The cause of the fire was not immediately apparent and is still being investigated by the San Juan County Fire Investigator.”


The male who was outside the home when deputies arrived was later identified as Cody Burch, age 20, from Farmington New Mexico. Burch was taken to San Juan Regional Medical Center for injuries received from the fire and later flown to Albuquerque. His condition is unknown at this time.