What is the Rural Crimes Initiative?
- It is a Crime Watch and reporting program designed to include Federal and County law enforcement in partnership with citizens and industry to address crime issues in rural areas of San Juan County.
- It enables all concerned to be “force multipliers” in observing, tracking and ultimately apprehending those responsible for committing crimes in rural areas.
Why is it Necessary?
- Because of the widely dispersed and varied industrial and agricultural entities within San Juan County.
- Not enough officers to cover the 2600 approximate square miles of gas well areas.
- Criminals prey on areas of low police presence, especially in areas with oil and gas production.
- We know that we cannot succeed without industry and citizen help.
- Let criminals know that our citizens and industry are active in fighting crime.
Types of Crimes:
- Oil and Gas Industry Thefts
- Farm Related Thefts
- Cultural Antiquity Theft and Vandalism
- Theft of Natural Resources
- Environmental and Haz-Mat issues