Filing a Complaint:

In general, we believe deputy sheriffs work in cooperation with citizens and that our contacts with citizens are positive. To insure that we function efficiently, while maintaining the rights of the citizens we protect, deputies are trained to follow a series of Sheriff’s Office policies and procedures and work within the guidelines of local, state, and federal laws. Because of the nature of law enforcement, we also understand that citizens on occasion may object to the police actions taken by deputies, or may feel their conduct is inappropriate. Therefore, we have established procedures for citizens to report their concerns to the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office.

We consider a complaint to be an allegation from any source regarding circumstance(s) of a specific act or omission by a Sheriff’s Office employee which, if later proven to be true, would be misconduct and would normally subject the employee to the progressive disciplinary process or a citizen’s expression of dissatisfaction with an agency policy, procedure, philosophy, service level or legal standard of the Sheriff’s Office. However, we do not consider a disagreement over the elements of a traffic citation to be a complaint. Any disputes over traffic citations received should be taken to the appropriate jurisdictional court for resolution.

As a citizen, you are encouraged to contact the Sheriff’s Office if you have a complaint about the actions of a deputy sheriff or non-sworn employee if you believe their conduct was inappropriate or that they have violated the law. Although we encourage citizens to report police misconduct, complaints must be made in good faith. False or highly exaggerated complaints serve no good purpose for either the citizens or the deputy and only tend to thwart our complaint investigation process. Anyone who willfully makes any false accusation for the purpose of discrediting a deputy sheriff may be prosecuted under NMSA 30-39-1.

If you need to file a complaint lease fill out the following form and it will be forwarded to the appropriate person within our department.