The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office is a full service law enforcement agency and the primary agency for the unincorporated, non-reservation portion of San Juan County, NM. This equates to an approximate land area of 5,538 square miles and a population of 130,044 people. Our entire team consist of 102 certified deputies and 27 civilian personnel.
In 2012, San Juan County Sheriff’s Deputies and Detectives investigated the following crimes:
Total Calls for Service 54742
|Officer Initiated (Traffic)||19,202|
|Criminal Damage to Property||383|
|Abandoned 911 Calls||5,960|
The 102 certified deputies of SJCSO are a mixture of the following divisions:
- Patrol Deputies – Front line response to handle all in-progress calls, traffic issues and typical patrol functions.
- Detectives – Investigate felony crimes to include homicides, sexual assaults, burglaries, larcenies, etc.
- Civil Deputies – Court security, prisoner transport/extradition (in0state and out-of-state), civil process service.
- Special Enforcement Team – Focused on specific problems facing the community, sex offender registration and compliance.
- Narcotics – Regional drug investigation unit.
- Supervisory – Sergeants. Lieutenants, Captains, Undersheriff and Sheriff.
- Aviation – Air support unit (helicopter).
- Training – Lead Academy Instructor.
Aside from promotions and divisional transfers, there are many opportunities for employee growth at the Sheriff’s Office. Some of these include:
- Police Instructor:
- Defensive Tactics
- Use of Force
- General Patrol Topics
- Field Training Officer
- Tactical Flight Officer
- Crime Scene deputy
- Drug Recognition Expert
- Boat Officer
- Crash Reconstructionist
- Intoxilyzer Key Operator
- Volunteer Divisions Liason
The main Sheriff’s Office is located in the county seat of Aztec, NM. In addition to the main office, there are substations located in the Lee Acres area as well as the Kirtland area. In 2012/2013 the Sheriff’s Office building was expanded with a 18,000 square foot addition. This new addition houses the detective division, new crime lab, expanded evidence room, multi-use training room and patrol workstations.